Sunday, June 23, 2019

Outdoor furniture transformation



So a while ago I was perusing thru Facebook Marketplace, my favorite thing to do, and found an old dated 1970’s or 80’s wooden furniture set.  I had been looking on Pinterest and was dreaming of a nice, chic & relaxing setup for my unfortunate and forgettable deck.  It had been raining cats and dogs for what seemed like weeks but couldn’t let this pass me by. So for $50, I took one of the teenagers and we hiked it up to Asheville NC in the truck. Tucked away in someone’s house was this old ugly set, but I knew it had potential to be what I had been wanting.




After sanding and sanding, for what felt like weeks, I was finally done and ready to wipe it all down with tack cloth.  And after waiting for more rain to pass and weather to finally clearup enough to paint, I went to work.
I have a paint sprayer that I absolutely love to use when I can remember how to use it, loaded $30 gallon of white high gloss outdoor paint and went to town.  I was able to paint everything in about an hour. Sure beats a brush, it would have taken me days and I would have lost interest, because I get like that sometimes.

 I then began to look for fabrics to cover the ugly brown plaid tweed cushions. They were in remarkable shape so I decided to use them and just go for a neutral color. I will change my mind 100 times in the process, so I knew to stick with something interchangeable. I had some turquoise side table from BigLots. The had a cool geometric shape and would pretty much  stay in fashion for a while. I used that color as an inspiration and bought a few yards of fabric for new throw pillows, but unfortunately I was tired of the color from last year. See I told you I change my mind a lot. So with my new ideas rolling around I waited for something else to hit me over the head for inspiration.

Last year at Bargain Hunt I had found 2 black and cream poufs for $7 each. SCORE!! Also in the bins were black and white outdoor pillows for $2.50. I grabbed 5 pillows, I mean who could pass that deal up??  About a month ago I found the matching outdoor rug for $10. SCORE AGAIN!! Side note...if you have a Bargain Hunt nearby, you have to go and check out the deals there! The look was still up in the air and I knew I needed more color. I’m all for neutrals, but it is so much better with some pops of color here and there, and I was looking for something soft to balance the stark contrast of black and white.  I went to Walmart and got 6 yards of plain twill cloth for $5 a yard, which is all my store had, I was going to make that stretch because I didn't want to have to match dye lots, ugh.. I already had threads and velcro, so I took 2 couch cushion covers apart and made the pattern.  Because I like to work assembly style, I cut out all the pieces, sewed all the velcro onto my closure patterns, pinned the side gussets and started sewing. I love using velcro instead of zippers, I hate having to change feet, because I'm a lazy sewer, LOL!

At Home has aisles and aisles of cushions, and after searching I found what I wanted. Soft pink & coral colors and 3 of them were on clearance for $7. It makes me happy when I get a deal! The bolster was $17 I told myself as long as it was under $20 I was OK. Now I knew what to do with the rest of the look. The lady I bought the furniture from threw in a small table with drop leafs, can’t get better than free!  The table top was worn but that wasn't a problem.  I took some gold paint and started to work. I tried to use the rest of the gold spray paint but had to work quick but ultimately I didn’t like the look, so I added some gold acrylic paint and did a dry brush and then softly wiped it down. Then I painted the legs white and added a gold trim. Remember the turquoise tables, I spray painted those gold too! I used about $15 worth of spray paint.

Ok, so I am stoked that everything turned about so amazing!! And for anyone keeping count, I have spent $162.50, not bad & although it took me a while to get it together, all good things happen to those who wait!!



And Kelly Approves








1 comment: